Monday, February 9, 2015

2015 it's here!!!




2014 was a big year for me so many close calls when it came to big races, but dwelling on the past gets you no where. I have been knuckling down hard over the past three months in prep for the coming season I dabbled a small bit in MTB and cyclo cross racing I enjoyed both immensely taking the elite connaught MTB title and coming second in the Connaught Cross Championship.

I took part in the both MTB and cross along side my training which worked good especially with the poor winter conditions that we have been experiencing.



My other method of bringing on my fitness throughout the off season is by training on both my turbo and a wattbike, since we have 5 of these bad boys parked up and ready for use in FitScience I have been making the most of them, my sessions have been ranging from 1-4hrs. Precision and progression are the two principles that I apply when training, I work very close with my coach Simon Walsh to establish my program and set targets for my season. To be honest I'd be lost without a coach it's so easy to do too much or in some cases too little, guidance and the ability for someone to sit you down and work both physically and psychologically with you is priceless.  2013 I chose to coach myself I knew all the drills and all that I needed to do, but when it came to the crunch I overworked myself trained too hard and didn't recover enough, I managed a few wins in the early season but it wasn't until Simon began working with me after the An Post Ras that my form really started to come, I tamed my milage back and focused on the specifics in the end I pulled out a solid 9th in the national champs.
I recently qualified fully as a cycling Ireland coach which has given me necessary tools needed to begin taking on coaching clients and to work with them closely to see great progression take place. I have been racing bikes since I was 14 that's over 13yrs of knowledge and experience gathered. My know how when it comes to session planning and tactical awareness training is second to none and this further backed up by my degree which qualifies me in a wide range of multi sport coaching qualifications, sports and exercise physiology, sports psychology,  nutrition and a wide range of strength and conditioning applications. It's easy to claim what certificates I have and what training courses I have done but the proof is in the pudding I preform great on my bike and that is down to smart training and planning through the man that coaches me which is Simon Walsh. No man is so good that he doesn't need a coach, I've said it before and ill say it again I see men riding themselves into the ground and quite simply doing the wrong sessions when in truth the most important thing they should do which would reap massive progress for them in the sport is to aquire a coach. So on that note any interested candidates keen to develop there cycling ability get in touch with either myself or Simon at FitScience (09624782), we will gladly sit down with you for an initial consult where we will show you what it's all about, if you don't like what you see then no harm, but if you are committed to performing to the maximum of your ability then guidance is what you need.



On another topic this year ourselves at FitScience with the help of Jimmy Durken are running a 120km road race on Sunday 1st of march. The event should be a cracker but I will shed more light on it in next weeks blog which I aim to dedicate most of it to. I also am going to talk a small bit about race preperation and shed some more light on how to work 40 hrs a week and compete at a high level on the domestic scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment