Sunday, July 4, 2010

National Champs.


Sorry about the lack of posting since the nationals, I’ve been up to my eyes in travelling, training, racing and sleeping. Things have been pretty mental the last few weeks, but finally I have some time to sit down relax and update all you readers on my mayhem upon my bike.
In my last post I spoke of a few races that I had done out here in Belgium, and I can honestly say my form is steadily improving. After the last 160km inter-club I travelled back to Ireland were I began my prep for my National Champs in Sligo town. The journey back home was rough, train after train, sleeping in Charleroi airport and then that daunting train from Heuston to Ballina. But I made it back, greeted by familiar faces I quickly relaxed into home life once again.
The following day I did a light spin and literally slept the rest of the time as I did my best to get my body back online. That Friday I paid a visit to the Tour de Tourlough which is a local Team time trial, were we literally ride ourselves into the ground for an hour and a half, but I used it as a light leg opener making sure that I only rolled through and didn’t tire myself for Sunday. With Saturday consisting of a light spin and with all preparation in place it was soon to be show time.
The day of the National Championships came and like any athlete, nerves were already kicking in. I overcame this by sticking to my well rehearsed plan which would take me from waking up, to the starting line. I began this with a race breakfast of double portions and keeping hydrated. Arriving at the race early is essential for me, in order to get my race face on and eye up the competition.
I quickly signed on, geared up, completed my warm up and made my way to the start area. I was surrounded by many well known names such as last year's Champion Nicholas Roach, David O'Loughlin and the An Post Team, local Sligo man Desire Foley and last but not least my brother Ciaran "the EAGLE" Clarke.
BANG! The 160Km race was underway. The pace was frantic, riders jostling for position and attacks from all angles made for a challenging start. I battled hard to maintain my position and keep an eye on the race favourites. There was little sign of the big hitters on the first lap and only upon ascending Tully Hill did they show their cards. A massive attack from Roach and other favourites left the field decimated. My legs were suffering and negative thoughts crept through my mind as my race plan fell apart. Down but never out, I quickly gathered my composure, escaping the clutches of the main field in a chase group.
Lap by lap we worked hard to limit our losses to the group of riders in the lead. As the miles ticked by and as the heat, wind and climbs took their toll on my fellow escapees I laid in place my plan of attack for the closing miles. With 5Km to go, I launched an attack, throwing all my eggs into one basket. I raced up Tully Hill and in the Donegal Road with other riders in hot pursuit. I maintained the gap and crossed the line in 14th position. Biggest surprise of the entire nationals is that Matt Brammier put in an excellent ride to take the win ahead of Roach, with Dan Martin taking 3rd and Sam Bennet taking the U23 prize. It was a big improvement on last year... but back to Belgium with omloop het nieuwsblad waiting for me and a blast of cremmese races which will hopefully bring my form on more.
Till next time stay real.

1 comment:

  1. Great text Paddy! Keep it up and good luck with racing in Belgium. Stay full of vitamins!

    ReplyDelete